Oregon has long been known as a marijuana-friendly state. In fact, it was the first to decriminalize the drug in 1973, and in 1998 it legalized medical marijuana.
Today, 23 states and the District of Columbia have legalized cannabis for medical use. There are now 1,137,069 legal medical marijuana patients in the United States. However, Oregon is one of the only states that allow recreational marijuana use.
In November, 2014, the state of Oregon passed Initiative 91, legalizing marijuana for anyone over the age of 21 with or without a medical marijuana card. SB-460 passed in 2015, allowing Portland marijuana dispensaries (and those across the state of Oregon) to sell cannabis to recreational users.
What You Need to Know About Legal Recreational Marijuana in Oregon
- If you are 21 years of age or older, it is legal to possess and use recreational marijuana.
- Medical marijuana dispensaries can sell small amounts of marijuana to recreational users.
- You can have up to eight ounces of usable marijuana in your home.
- You can possess up to one ounce of usable marijuana outside of your home.
- As long as it is out of public view, you can grow up to four marijuana plants per residence.
- Driving under the influence of marijuana is still illegal.
- Public use of marijuana is still illegal; however, you can use it at home or on private property.
- You cannot transport marijuana across state lines.
- You can make edible marijuana products at home, but you can only use them in private places.
What You Need to Know About Portland Dispensaries
- What do I need to buy cannabis from a Portland marijuana dispensary?
You will need a valid form of government-issued identification to prove that you are over the age of 21. Your ID does not need to be issued in Oregon.
- What kinds of marijuana do Portland Dispensaries sell?
- Flowers: You will find a number of flower strains ranging from indicas to sativas. Every strain has a slightly different effect, so be sure to ask the budtender to help you choose the strain that is best for you.
- Edibles and drinks: Edibles include cannabis-infused foods, candies, and beverages.
- Concentrates: These are essential oils of the cannabis plant.
- How much can I buy at one time?
Under the Recreational Possession Law, you may possess only one ounce of dried marijuana outside of the home and eight ounces in your home. It is at the discretion of the Portland dispensaries how much they are willing to sell at one time.
During Oregon’s first week of legal recreational marijuana sales, retailers sold over $11 million worth of cannabis products. This is a great thing for the local economy, since the recreational taxes go towards supporting important public programs, including the common school fund, mental health and addiction services, state police, and more.